Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Carolina Rollergirls

The Carolina Rollergirls is a roller derby team for ladies only. What they do is skate around and try to earn points. It works like this. They start in a pack. A pivot is out front for each team with the stripe on their helmet. The jammer has a star on their helmet and they start in the back. What they have to do is get through the pack of skaters who are called blockers and they are not the pivot or the jammer. Each team is trying to not let the jammer from the other team get up front. When a jammer does get in front, they have to go around the track and then go back in the pack and try to go around again. If they do, they get points. They (the Rollergirls) play at the N.C. State Fairgrounds in Dorton Arena. The first part of their season for the Carolina Rollergirls is split up into three sub-teams called the Debutante Brawlers, The Trauma Queens and the Tai-Chi-Tahs. My favorite Rollergirl is Princess America from the Tai-Chi-Tahs. In the second part of their season, the whole team plays against other towns. When I grow up, I hope I will be one of them. I will be called Potato Masher. My name comes from also wanting to be a farmer when I grow up. For information about Roller Derby, see: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/roller-derby.htm/printable

(I am not sure whether she is correct on the way Roller Derby works, but she sure sounds like she knows what she's talking about. She is a big fan.)

No comments: