Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bugs

I learned about bugs in a book called "The Insect World." I learned about termites. The queen termite lays all the eggs. The king rules. Some termites are born to be guards. They look different and they don't eat much or sleep much.

Bees live most differently than those termites. They don't have a king - only a queen. The queen stings her royal sisters to death! When a bee finds a flower patch he will go back home and do a dance to tell the other bees where it is.

Caterpillars turn into butterflies. That is called a "metamorphosis" ("medomorfus"). What happens is the caterpillar gets in a cocoon and it comes out a butterfly. Magic! Well under the skin on a caterpillar is a butterfly. They shed their skin.

Did you know a wasp or yellow jacket or hornet - only the female stings or sucks blood?

An ant city is weird. There is only a queen. The guards are nice when another bug comes and says it's hungry and can't find food. They toss out some food for them. Did you know an ant talks with it's antennae?

I'm not going to talk about spiders. Creepy!!! I know a few things about bugs and one thing is that I don't like them. They make me run and my daddy has to kill them.

1 comment:

Biff! Pow! said...

That's a cool picture. Wish we had millions of bugs like that!